Thread: Youth v. Dead
View Single Post
Old 09.20.2012, 11:51 AM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
1967 in SF must've been a total headfuck: Big Brother, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead all playing gigs together, at their electric peaks (well, the Dead had some years to hit their peak). The new Big Brother live Cd, recorded by Stanley Owsley, is excellent.

I'd say the 1967 was the underground year for the Dead, those shows weren't exactly as big as we see them in our imaginations, that was just the local scene, like going to the Smell or the former Spaceland or the Whiskey or the House of Blues here in LA. It must have been cool to be a part of that community, it was as formative as the Trenchtown scene was for roots reggae (where from comes Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Jimmy Cliff, Johnny Osbourne, Burning Spear, Alton Ellis, Marcia Griffiths, Judy Mowat, Joe Higgs, Delroy Wilson, Toots Hibert) or the way Seattle/Olympia/Portland dominated 1990s music. The real years for the Dead were 1970, 1974, 1978, 1981, 1989,1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
"Dead or alive, there's danger
The Dead are alright with me
We're not gonna run away
We're not gonna leave you stranger
Turn the light on, yr lonely love"

Sonic Youth 'STONES'

from Mustang Site

Debuted at a secret gig in November '03, premiering the forthcoming 'Nurse' material. Working title was "CITY GRASS" (or possibly "CITY GAS"). Performed acoustically at the Bridge Benefit in 2004 (dedicated to Jerry Garcia both nights, indicating the song's subject matter -- 'the Dead are alright w/ me'). Lee sings w/ Thurston on the chorus.

Once I was talking with Steve after a show, because he is always so nice and chats for like 20 minutes about music (and he always remembers me too!), when I mentioned that I liked the Sonic Youth community because it was like the 1960s-1970s Grateful Dead. I thanked him and the band for facilitating that community, by throwing free shows and participating in community events aside from constantly touring. By having side projects and lots of music for us. The show they had just finished was the Filter Party secret location free show, that shit had the community feel of going to the Dead at the Fillmore in 1970! Steve liked the comparison but confessed that Lee was the "resident Deadhead" in the band and so he then walked me over to Lee at the merch table and introduced me. Me and Lee chatted about the Dead and Sonic Youth music for another 20 minutes, and I met son and we talked about his son's band too.. I love Sonic Youth, the only community-oriented rock band I know. I listen to a lot of cool bands, and I've been to a lot of cool shows, but much like in the same caliber of the Dead lore, there is nothing like a Sonic Youth show

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|