View Single Post
Old 01.10.2017, 08:18 PM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Yep. "Brown Skin Lady" will always be my shit.

Not even close to my favorite song on the album, but yes.. still undeniably great.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't revisited Dec. 99th since reading that horrendous, utterly scathing, borderline hateful review on Pitchfork.

In my defense, that's probably because it's still not available anywhere other than TIDAL, and I no longer ride the Tide. But it's also true that, while a bad review might not change the way I hear music, it does change the way I think of music in a cultural/social context. Reading something like that makes me think, "this thing is not going to mean anything to anyone, and I'm better off not spending much time with it because nobody's going to want to talk to me about it even if I love it."

Not saying I loved what I heard necessarily. But I liked it well enough, and planned to listen further.

I will say this: if this is indeed MosYasiin DefBey's last album, that would really suck. Again, not because it's BAD, but it certainly is not representative of the kind of music or energy that he based his career on. This guy used to be my *all time favorite* rapper (which was kinda silly, because he'd only released Black Star and Black on Both Sides at that time — a great one-two punch, but not enough for a "Best of all time" designation) and I would really like him to drop something big and black and beautiful for his swan song. Like those first two albums, or the Ecstatic.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|