View Single Post
Old 12.02.2010, 03:26 AM   #13360
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Been re-watching some godard lately.. looking for inspiration for my next projects..

HAIL MARY - 10/10

Definitely one of his best works. Maybe his most perfectly-edited and -shot film. A masterpiece.

BLACK TIGHT KILLERS - 8/10

Very Suzuki like. Amazing use of color.

BLOOD AND BLACK LACE - 8/10

Giallos are pretty much my favorite type of film -- and by far my favorite type of "horror" film -- so why did it take me so long to see this landmark giallo, which pretty much established all the trademarks of the genre, well before Argento popularized it in 1969 (this came out in 1964! Look at that screenshot above -- this is just a sampling of the exquisite, oversaturated colors that Argento would reuse in Tenebre, Suspiria, etc. to extremely striking effect)? ...well, to be honest, I didn't think too highly of Bava. While I absolutely adore Baron Blood and Bay of Blood/Twitch of the Death Nerve/the movie of 1000000 titles... and I like Hatchet for the Honeymoon just fine... I honestly didn't think too highly of Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs, Black Sabbath, 5 Dolls for an August Moon, Kill Baby Kill, Lisa and the Devil, and many of his other films -- I felt like he was an average director, for the most part, not much more. Well, this film blew me away, and I think it's time for me to re-explore some of his work, as well as check out some of his films I've long neglected (SHOCK, Whip and the Body, Girl Who Knew Too Much, as well as an un-MST3K'd Danger: Diabolik!). This film is absolutely brilliant. MASTERFUL direction. Brilliant colors. An engaging plot! That's a very high 8, mind you. This is a great film!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|