View Single Post
Old 05.23.2011, 10:01 AM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, my point is, in just a few months, I did an album of -- for lack of a better word here -- improvised "acid folky" type stuff, a very slow droney delayed-guitar heavy album, and then an album of the stuff you describe. They sounded like completely different bands... like I said, it was more so me doing things that interested me at the time.

It was not really my intention to talk about my stuff, as like you said, there is a danger in talking about your own work. But nearly every review you'll ever read where someone is familiar with my output always remarks on how different whatever they're reviewing sounds compared to what they've heard before, usually being quite critical about it.

A good album to listen to for a good example of all this is RARITIES 2003-2008. It collects, uh, rarities/covers/b-sides/comp tracks from 5 years worth of stuff and every single song sounds completely different.

On that same note, I would reccomend an album like SHRINE TO SALVAGED JUNK -- for lack of a better word, a "Folk" album -- to most people, since it has a lot more listener-friendly stuff in it than I would some of the more, uh, "Difficult" stuff.

I guess my thing is, I've always wanted to evolve, in some way. I don't know what I'm doing, I don't really know musical theory, my entire output is based on ideas and trying to execute them. That doesn't mean I'm any more creative or forward-thinking than anyone else, it just means I'm trying, and I'm affored that because of the "independence" that I have. On the other hand, I actually have rubbed certain labels the wrong way when submitting material -- I have gotten a few rejects, such as, "Oh. Uh this is okay but I was hoping you would've done something like [THIS] album or [THAT] album." Either way, thanks for the thoughts. I typically don't think about any of this stuff, so this is good, because I can think about stuff I usually don't take into consideration. I guess no matter what I do, and this is sorta in line with your point, it is always going to sound like me, to some extent. Maybe. But I hate myself, often hate my music, almost always hate the guitar... so I guess in some weird way I'm trying to become something else.

...When are artists most creative? My new answer: ON [good] DRUGS.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|