View Single Post
Old 12.26.2011, 11:52 AM   #15353
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
shame, this is one of my favorite films of all time. I do think it's one of those films that's a lot more effective the first time you watch it. However, there is something about Lynch's style I really identify with. I can watch this one over and over and never really get bored. Eraserhead is still the most compelling work he's done. I've been reading the book.. "Lynch on Lynch" and was really inspired by what he went through during the time he was filming it. It took him 5 years. I was even shocked to see him mention suicide as an option during the era of the elephant man and dune (dune is one of the worst things I've seen, personally). He didn't have final cut and very little control on that one. It was just weird because if you watch all of his interviews he always seems like the happiest guy in the world. Anyways, Eraserhead will always be the film that even gave me the idea of being a filmmaker someday. Also... many don't seem to know this, but Stanley Kubrick often referred to Eraserhead as his favorite film of all time. Apparently, he also made the cast of "The Shining" watch it numerous times to get a certain feel for the mood he was trying to convey.

I do wish Lynch would make at least one more film. I'm afraid he might not have it in him anymore. I found Inland Empire very intriguing.. even if it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'd like to see him do something new. You can look at Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire as a trilogy in a way. He's one of the most interesting people to talk about... for me anyways.

I don't doubt that it was just a case of me being in the wrong mood for it. I was almost certainly being too harsh giving it a 6.

More generally, I think it's likely that we've already seen the best of Lynch. I can't think of any filmmaker whose managed to sustain a peak of creativity throughout the entire length of their career. So the more interesting question for me isn't what Lynch will do next but who's entering their own peak of creativity right now. Nobody immediately springs to mind but there's bound to be someone waiting in the wings.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|