View Single Post
Old 07.17.2013, 07:35 PM   #142
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
When I try to make sense of all the great music that's come out this year and break it down into a list (a preliminary one, of course, as the year's only half over) I find myself getting lost after a few seconds in "wait, I forgot [ ... ]!!" And "ok that looks right- oh fuck, but that's just January!"

Still, it's not hard to think of the albums that, so far, simply MUST be in the top five. So far, the albums that I can couldn't leave out if I tried, are

Lips - Terror
Black Bug - Reflecting the Light
Ghostface Killah - 12 Reasons to Die
And Yeezus.

All albums that I've had plenty of time to digest, but still play a track from at least daily. Yeezus is the newest, but because I haven't been able to get it out of my head for a month now (not just some of be songs, but the whole album, which melds together into one massive song for me when I think about it) I think it's safe to say that it will land in the top five at the end of the year as well.
Possibly even above 12 Reasons..., which is a superior album musically and lyrically, but doesn't pack the emotional punch of Kanye's ridiculously titled half-album/whole masterpiece (gotta hear the other sessions tracks.)

But those are my gut response picks... I still have a hefty chunk of new albums to look forward to, so I may have a backwards and upside down list in December. Good thing nobody gives the smallest of shits.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|