View Single Post
Old 10.02.2007, 04:02 PM   #32
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Agression. I see rock as a manifestation of emotion, and "sex" isn't really an emotion.

I think it's quite interesting how music can be a medium for the different emotions, sometimes even complex emotions and yet, it can also serve as more of a philosophical piece of art, which I believe to have greater significance.
The philosophical aspect of a piece of music is more obvious when it is used in the context of film, where music is played to directly or indirectly represent the action happening in a particular scene.

Slightly off topic, but I found this interesting and kind of clarifies my point a little:
"The other horror music code which has emerged is what I call the sublime, and can also be found in every John Carpenter film. In Halloween (1978), Carpenter uses Laurie's Theme to evoke the chill of Halloween, as Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) walks home from school... the autumn leaves are blowing, children are playing in the distance, Michael is waiting behind the hedge. Laurie's Theme is not scary, it is haunting. Why? There is nothing intrinsic to the music which scares us; there is no discordance, no harshness. It is a minor piece, but if one listens to it out of context, it could easily represent a labor leader stoically taking the fifth instead of representing a psycopathic serial killer who cannot be stopped."

Going back to my original point, the psychological and philosophical aspects of music, (not just in film music) fuel my interest, fuels my interest in rock music.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|