View Single Post
Old 09.01.2016, 06:55 AM   #106
matmosphere
little trouble girl

matmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I think Sonic Youth faithfuls are very lucky indeed. Those of us who really love all eras of the band have an almost unparalleled (in the rock world) and totally massive body of work to dig into and feast upon. Few bands get around to releasing as many albums as SY did, let alone great albums, and that's not even taking all the EPs, SYRs, collaborative albums and solo works.

It's not a Dinosaur Jr kind of situation, where the band existed at its best for a few meager years before turning into a caricature of itself for a decade and a half, only to kind of return with some albums that are better than the the worst Dino, but ultimately just sound like lesser rehashings of "classic" Dino. We're much more lucky than, say, Nirvana diehards. I love Nirvana, but if they were my favorite band I'd be frustrated as all hell. Three proper LP's, that's it. Can you imagine? We're absolutely rich by comparison.
Yeah, I was fortunate enough to see them play, but that was a lifetime ago. The memory is not enough.

SY didn't have on-again off-again band dynamics. They were the best version of themselves for decades, and we're still getting caught up with the their archives. They had enough power and sonic diversity over the course of their run of LP's that it's very hard to get sick of any one album or period, let alone the band itself.

Guided By Voices may have a bigger catalogue, but it's also mind numbingly redundant. Flaming Lips may approach Sonic Youth's diversity and lifespan, but they had a few major flops along the way, and now they seem to be a bit stuck. Even the Beatles, whose catalog rivals Sonic Youth's, spent the first quarter of their career playing pretty bland stuff, and didn't get interesting until they were halfway done.

SY is a behemoth. It's awesome that we can have a five page discussion about two albums released in succession that are so completely and utterly different in sound and scope. It's all fucking brilliant though. We're really rather spoiled if you think about it.

Where You Been and Hand It Over are both great albums, but they have a different feel than Dino with Lou for sure. That mid period Dino is certainly more miss than hit though. I think you're selling the new stuff a little short too. I caught them live last year and it was a great show.

With your attitude about the early Beatles stuff all I can say is that you're missing out. That's all great stuff, and although fifty years later it doesn't seem like they were pushing the envelope during that era, they actually were considering the state of music at the time. I'm always surprised that people try to write off the early Beatles stuff or be too "cool" to appreciate it. Without those early Beatles records almost all the music after would be vastly different.

Sy certainly had some turmoil during the first three or four geffen records, and while Dirty is amongst my favorites, Goo and Jet Set are amongst the least favorites.
matmosphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|