View Single Post
Old 04.24.2011, 09:09 PM   #9
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
who are they?, please don't tell me the grunge widow need money...any way bleach it's my nirvana album.
Speculation and re-hash of ideas expressed in the past, below (and long-ass post so maybe you all might wanna skip it):

"Nobody's Daughter" (and the return of Hole to performing live) was a flop, wasn't it? She still surely has enough money for candies, but some more won't hurt her finances. Let's keep in mind that there are Nirvana or Kurt Cobain items officially released almost perpetually, such as: The "Cobain Unseen" book, the ORG remasters, "Hormoaning" 7" Record Store Day exclusive... She's hardly the only party involved in this, though. Kind of hard to know who are all of those people that would have a piece of the Nirvana cake (and maybe that's why The Watcher didn't even try to give out names), but here's my lame attempt at making a list of the people that would most likely get a bit of money from the sales of a potential 20th anniversary edition of "Nevermind", it surely will inevitably fail to include everyone: Nirvana LLC; Nirvana's record label (Universal Music) and management, all people who participated in the making of the record who have the right to royalties besides the band, this includes Butch Vig, who produced the album; Andy Wallace for mixing it; Kirk Canning (he contributed cello on "Something In The Way"); Chad Channing (Played drums on that particular version of "Polly" when it was demoed at Sound City Studios and the demo ended up being the final version on the album after some tweaking in the studio); Robert Fisher and Michael Lavine for their contributions in design and photography; Spencer Elden for being the naked baby on the cover, etc....

A few years ago Courtney Love put for sale a percentage (20% if i remember correctly) of the copyrights to the Nirvana catalog, it was rumored that U2's Bono was eagerly trying to purchase it through his firm, Elevation Partners. I don't know if he actually did buy it and don't feel like looking that up, in case he did he'd be getting money out of the sales of who knows how many Nirvana releases, surely "Nevermind" included.

Anyway, if the many parts with financial interests in Nirvana would get to an agreement to only permit We Got Power Films to release the DVD of "1991: The Year Punk Broke" and absolutely none other thing, i guess i'd be satisfied with that although i'm aware there are Nirvana live recordings worthy of an official release (November 25, 1990 at the Off Ramp, although supposedly the master tape of the encore was destroyed and no audio files exist other than those sourced from MP3s; November 25, 1991 at Paradiso in The Netherlands; December 28, 1991 in Del Mar, California; and especially Halloween of 1991 at the Paramount in Seattle), also there must be demos and studio sessions that would be a joy to listen to (i wanna hear all the "Nevermind" sessions, particularly that one when they played "Endless, Nameless", godamnit) but they probably are currently stored on some safety box away even from the sunlight. So there's material for a potential product, but somehow i don't trust them anymore to actually release something good enough ("MTV Unplugged In New York", "Live: Tonight! Sold Out!", and the "Live At Reading" DVDs being possible exceptions). "With The Lights Out" wasn't all that great despite including many rarities, just a compilation thrown together without much care, "Sliver-The Best Of The Box" was lame, the audio versions of "Reading 1992" were so flawed in certain aspects, too. And even though Jack Endino was involved in remastering "Bleach", that one was also a disappointment. It was not necessary. Also, poor choice of a live recording that documented that era, there are better ones, speaking of sound and performance, circulating out there. The best thing about that reissue, was the lot of previously unreleased pictures for sure, but in these days that's not a good reason to get a remaster copy of an album, considering there's better content in terms of Nirvana eye-candy in sites such as tumblr.