View Single Post
Old 10.30.2012, 03:08 AM   #14
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I have never been a good lyricist, but I can play, and have played, in a few bands. I never wrote anything I was proud of until I wrote collaboratively, and had friends with me who would take my lame ass dropped D riffs and say "why don't you do .... Instead?" At first, I was always reluctant. But I always ended up liking the variation on my idea better than my original idea, and I ended up making a few damn good songs with the help of my friends.
When we did do covers, we did weird ones. Like covering Jets to Brazil in a Minor Threat like way... Or Metallica in a Meat Puppets way... But don't just start a cover band. Girl or boy, it doesn't matter. Play for fun until you feel your serotonin rushing from an improvised chord change. Discover your musical self through jamming with people who are less subjective about your ideas; particularly those bold enough to tell you when your ideas are shit. Then you can start to create your own revolution.
that's how I learnt: improvisation and moving into this amorphous little sound-world sort of thing where I would just take everything I loved and throw them at each other. like I always loved Fahey and, as with anyone who hears him, I wanted to emulate that incredible sound. but his fingerwork was impossibly quick, so I slowed it down to a crawl and started moving around the emphasis and resonance of notes, and as I was always a fan of monolithic, heavy music too (Earth, sunn o))), Melvins) I used it as a means with which to sort of drone away. I also love (and always will more than anything else) MBV, for the way they existed at the intersection of noise and melodics, but somehow I always wanted more from them, like a more musically human element, something to make their later stuff less robotic, like more chord changes, perhaps some variation over their extended break outros, stuff like that, so I did it myself and just moved on from there.

that's all it is. music is purely a form of enjoyment, of catering to what you want, of ascertaining what will evoke something from someone whoever the fuck that may be, not rehashing what someone else did two decades ago, let alone in the exact same style. do something original that you want to do and don't ever bow to anyone else.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|