View Single Post
Old 10.11.2013, 07:58 PM   #177
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Innode - Grindshifter

totally brilliant and thought-thorough album.
They're playing in my town this week, not really sure if I'll make it though
yeah, really good record. you're right, it's very deliberate, everything seems to be perfectly in its place. eMego absolutely killing it this year.

absolute and utter fucking maelstrom. will take a while to wrap my head around this one.

real slow, real heavy. classic bardo, a band who at this point have a sound so well-defined as to render everything they do worthwhile.

other gud new things: black rain 'protoplasm', bill orcutt 'a history of everyone', the new downwards comp, rashad becker 'traditional music of notional species vol. 1'

re: daft punk....discovery as dance music's loveless?? shit.....the latter created a wholly new language for music, subverting traditional notions as to what constitutes pop music via directly altering the roles of sound. it is pure ecstasy, combining unabashed sonic overload with a paradoxical calm. fundamentally loveless is indescribable, inimitable, in that it conjures all these opposing feelings; it is seemingly impossible for a record to connote such dichotomous responses, with no other album able to simultaneously lull and bombard the listener. that is, it makes no fucking sense. conversely, discovery is just throwing tropes at each other and seeing what sticks; it's fucking day-glo pop music whose constituent parts are in no way original. I have no problem with this, but when you purport that your music holds some artistic significance beyond what is essentially amateur-level plunderphonics set to 4/4 dance-pop rhythms, in my mind you're a fucking twat.

listen to that new cavern of anti-matter track, for instance. it is unadulterated neu! worship, as so much of stereolab's output was (still fucking brilliant though). however, while they in essence did the same thing that daft punk do (meld disparate forms of pop music), not only did they do it with far greater ability (in that the genres with which they worked were far more wide-ranging), but, to my knowledge, and forgive me if I'm wrong, they didn't claim to be doing anything overly groundbreaking.

I see nothing wrong with genre-bending, or taking different genres and working them into one's overall vision, but if you are trying to evoke the same sentiments/emotions of the music from which you're stealing, or are in no way altering it so as to suit your overall framework, then I think that from a purely creative standpoint your music is totally redundant. and, similarly, there's nothing wrong with that, EXCEPT when you are of the belief that you're the benjamin fucking franklin of sound.

CUNTZ.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|