View Single Post
Old 06.06.2008, 10:31 AM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i was at that important record buying time when nirvana went bang.. in the non literal sense....

i was about 14 when i first heard daydream nation... loved it......changed my view on music period, i actually skipped the traditional irish way of growing up with metal and went straight to indie guitar swing.. anyhoo.. that was immediatly followed up by surfer rosa and probably something less excellent.... like bug or green mind....

shortly afterwards a mate gave me a copy of bleach, i thought it was ok, no more no less, actually negative creep i thought was genius (this is still the same opinion of this album i hold today) . i knew about nirvana through sy eternal ranting about them and by kurt wearing goo shirts etc, (another sidenote... i also got into dinosaur, sebadoh, jesus lizard and others by the fact a decent band wore their shirts on the pages of the then good melody maker)

when i first heard smells like teen spirit i was like meh, its good, catchy, a bit lame to be honest and then i saw it on top of the pops and i said, right.. gues what we are gonna be talking about for the next 10 years......

the next day in school, every iron madien,m ywangwie j malnmmtdstrufjldoh, rhandy rhoades, ozzy, whitesnake, napalm death, fan in the school suddenly liked nirvana... a week ago they said they were shite and all of a sudden they were hailed as the new kings of metal... i waas like "hold on a minute there mettallers... if you like this than listen to this and this and this and this and this and this and this.... nope, they needed their power chord fix and went back to lars i am a god in my own light ulrich and the metallitica boys..... i laughed at them...

anyway i digress...... i was there (to quote james murphy) when nirvana exploded internationally and they were fucking faboulous at the time.... in utero was their peak tho, their high point......

and now.. 17 years on from that experience whilst trying to study chemistry.... we are still talking about it..... important band !!!!!

pumpkins... they were first shite after i turned over to side 2 of gish, appalling band!