View Single Post
Old 06.07.2015, 11:32 PM   #21
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
oh yeah shit belong, they were a good one. also the cleveland scene so bee mask and everyone else on that axis.

ben frost & fuck buttons are in a completely different lineage, more along the lines of 'populist noise' for lack of a better term, employing accessible signifiers like melody/rhythm to very conventional means. while all those other groups you've listed definitely conform to what we're talking about here those two are completely different; their music is high fidelity, free from the murk which defined everything else we're talking about and similarly lacking in any identifiable esotericism. also their music has been released on very prominent record labels and as such no DIY element. also ben frost is australian and also ben frost is a fucking cunt. his music's shit as well. tried to be nice but couldn't hold it together, sincerely sorry but I hate ben frost so much.

and as much as pan sonic employ noise as a compositional tool they were also operating within a completely different context, more readily aligning with the european avant-garde electronic styles (for example mego, touch, type, raster-noton), musics which skewed towards a more sterile, academic place as opposed to the proclivity of 21st century noise artists (particularly in the US) to engage in completely uninhibited improvisation which owes more to DIY rock and kosmische than GRM or modernist comp.

someone tried to sell me on fuck buttons once cos they knew i liked "noise stuff" and i just thought that they hadnt caught up with my ears yet and forgot about them. the song sound outdated and boring. can sort of see how they might be interesting if you dont listen to noise and can only handle little bursts of it in pretty trad pop rock structures. now i google and they have stuff on youtube called "tarot sport" from 09 and it starts with emeralds sparkly crystal stuff like they read the hypno-pop issue of the wire from around that time and jumped on another bandwagon haha

they arent what we're looking for - neither static nor murk - its mainstream and hi fi like you said.

and 16 BITCH PILE UP - hell yes how could we forget them?

another mention for times new viking - a band which i actually listened to at the time and who did this amazing teen spirit cover - but this stuff is really lo fi isnt it? its lo fi noise pop and its in a different world.

i mean we could split off into an entirely 'nother thing and talk about eat skull and the siltbreeze axis - and thats really tempting because those bands kicked ass but i think we got to just stick to noise/murk stuff thats borderline formless - yet again i wanted to include pocahaunted and hospitals - but pocahaunted were definitely the olsen twins of blissed out drone and didnt go into full on raga pop until their last album. and hairdryer peace performs its own total mutiliation on its little shreds of rock song structure.

hard to know where to draw the line sometimes but got to draw it somewhere.

i mean, i dont want to give tribute to some rich dude with a delay pedal who very self consciously tried to be noise because it was cool. its about the people who were actually a part of this and actually cared about what they were doing.