View Single Post
Old 11.23.2018, 02:30 PM   #23115
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
THE SHAPE OF WATER FUCKING SSSSUUUUUUCKED

What!?

Sucked.

A) It’s about bestiality
B) There are too many plot holes to list
C) It’s a rip-off of Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s signature style — only Guillermo Del Toro-fied with a fish monster and nobody speaking French (but French music inexplicably playing throughout?) Yeah, Del Toro has made some nice films, but this was an aesthetic heist of another — BETTER — filmmaker’s vision and style. (City of Lost Children/Delicatessen/Amelie/A Very Long Engagement — all better by far than this thing)
D) It’s gross without needing to be
E) It’s a little on-the-nose with its social commentary (though I agree with its message)
F) It’s basically just a mash-up of Beauty and the Beast and Creature from the Black Lagoon
G) It came out at the same time, and competed against, movies that are INFINITELY better, more important, more daring and more stylistically adventurous

... IN NO UNIVERSE IS THIS THE BEST MOVIE OF 2017.

Blade Runner 2049, Drunkirk and Ladybird all make this thing feel like an utterly empty little fairy tale.

If it hadn’t garnered so much acclaim, I probably wouldn’t dislike it so much... but it was not a great film.

was waiting for the inevitable follow up and you didn't disappoint. I actually only got round to watching it myself a coupla months back and everything you said I agree with. Every conceivable film cliche you can think of was in there and they ramped that up to 10. Some bits were especially so eye rollingly lame that all it did was baffle me all the more as to how it did so well.

Then again, it highlighted once again how the Oscars are an absolute joke and have been for a long, long time. The only plus was Sally Hawkins. Man, I've got the weirdest crush on her.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|