View Single Post
Old 03.01.2010, 01:54 PM   #66
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Dubstep isn't really an imitation. Dub is generally much slower, dubstep inherits a lot of 2-step/ garage/ grime ideas. Have you listened to any dubstep, or are you criticising based on the name? Because, to be honest, I was very late in the game with dubstep because I was put off by Burial and the name.

For a) I think you're confusing my response to Herr Rail with what follows.
For b) I suspect you're right, but you shouldn't be. Either way, I'm much more about dubstep than dub these days.

I am aware of the sonic differences, the 'imitation' cap was loaded. Honestly though, while I am not against dubstep (after all, 'who is not against you is for you." Jesus) but I am a bit skeptical. To me, its sort of like a white-washed, suburbanite version of dub music, which is totally and even ridiculously unnecessary. Why not get into dub music directly? Further, why adopt many of the cultural/linguistic/style elements of one culture and exploit it for your own subculture's gain? If dubstep scene can use dub terms/phrases/concepts/images why not just go all out and go dub? Further, I hold dubstep to extremely critical standards, just as I do local reggae bands (who generally suck I might add)

as a rastafari, I am especially concerned with those who ignorantly wear rastafari colors/sounds and are know-nothings. If these folks at least accompany their dub step with authentic dub artists, then they will get the full picture in clarity.

that is my two cents

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|