View Single Post
Old 11.14.2016, 11:10 AM   #19874
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh ha ha yes-- that last bit is clunky.

i see it as a concession to a 1950s audience more than anything (it's a 1960 film but it's a "50's" movie to me). i wonder if it was a hitchcock decision or the studio did that. i'll investigate.

the other thing is that we grew up in the aftermath of all that... psychologization (is that a word?) of life, so i don't know if the audiences from 70 years ago would have picked up on it the way we do it today. we're hitchcock's children.

the last-last shot that follows is also a bit of overexplaining... that's the car being dragged out of the swamp with a chain. i would have liked more i think not to know what happened, but again 50s audiences most likely wanted a clear ending. too early in history for something like "inception".

but shot by shot, the way douglas gordon made it explode, it's just so brilliant.

I've heard that Hitchcock wasn't keen on the psychiatrist scene but felt it necessary for audience comprehension. It was self financed so he didn't have any studio pressure, and the whole film plays havoc with the Hays code. It was just a rare case of poor judgement by Hitchcock which he thankfully learned from in time for The Birds, which benefits from explaining nothing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|