View Single Post
Old 01.10.2016, 12:17 PM   #16
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
https://youtu.be/-LElqwoBOJE - "china steps"

Public Strain is a great album. check out "drag open" or "untogether"

the opening track has blazing, droning viola/violins.. john cale-like. the album recalls vu, sy and others -- blatantly. it's beautiful

Yeah, Women's Public Strain is absolutely one of the more markedly Sonic Youth-esque albums of the last several years. I don't think it's any more blatant than a lot of other bands who've taken cues from SY (Trail of Dead's Source Tags & Codes is a high profile and at this point very old example, but it's such a transparent grab for the sound of Daydream Nation that it makes Women look absolutely fresh by comparison.)

I'm glad someone mentioned Thee Oh Sees, and while I agree that they're a ball bustingly incredible band that can certainly claim SY as an influence, I would also argue that they don't actually sound much like SY at all. At least not in their current incarnation.

Perfect Pussy is a tough sell because they got a lot of indiscriminate hype in 2014 just for being a female fronted punk band. I know a lot of people on this forum didn't catch the bug, but their debut full length album really is an impressive and refreshing boundary testing post-punk record. There is a very obvious Sonic Youth influence in their sound, though it took me a few listens of their self-titled lp before I really heard it. It's in the spaces between songs, sort of, and in the moments when they let their hardcore sound stretch out a bit. I don't think they should be written off just because they got some heavy media attention. Their debut was one of my top 10 records of 2014, and they put on an a damn good live show.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|