View Single Post
Old 10.15.2009, 06:19 AM   #103
Sonic Youth Gossip
stalker

Sonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm saying that your idea of innovative was innovative 10 years ago and has since been superseded.

I only reference Mika Vainio because I like him (solo) more than I do the people you listed who, even with the field of 'electronica', weren't ever really innovative.

I'm off to listen to Yatsuano Tone.
I know who tone is. i don't think it's really fair to say these "innovative" musicians can be ranked on how forward-thinking they were. people like tone take a totally different approach to music than the artists i listed. personally i would consider that area closer to "art" than music. not because it's OMG SO AMAZING THIS IS ART but because the approach is particularly more focused on sound rather than music. you could say the same about oval. they made a program that rips tiny sound bites off cds and arranges them into full songs. the result is fascinating, and considerably more "musical" than wounded cd despite taking a similar approach, but i wouldn't call it "more innovative", it's really subjective.

on a larger scale, however, i think it would be fair to rate some musicians and their approaches as more forward thinking than others. say if you compared the overdone auto-tuned vocals of t-pain to making an album out of broken equipment.

glice
although i appreciate you refraining from straight out calling me a cunt and a twat (so far) i don't think you know what i think is truely innovative. just because i think the work of a few artists is still unique doesn't meant i think they at the PURE FOREFRONT OF MUSICAL EXPERIMENTATION. I still think they push boundaries though, and really i think that is very hard to deny.

porky
don't give me this "quick run through your posts" bullshit. please. like i said i'm not making this personal. mostly because this is a message board and i think it's kind of sad to trade insults about personal traits which have been gathered from a few posts on the internet. also i don't really get what's with the pumpkins pics given i posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
i haven't listened to the pumpkins in a good couple of years. yes billy is a MASSIVE cunt but still a very capable musician (especially back in his hey-day) and an excellent guitar player. pumpkins don't really do it for me anymore, but that doesn't mean i can't appreciate the effort that goes into it. also i'm not denying that my favourite musicians are making money off what they do. of course they are, but the music they produce is at least (in my eyes) of substantial quality and is not entirely motivated by profit.
Sonic Youth Gossip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|