Thread: bowie
View Single Post
Old 08.16.2007, 07:12 PM   #92
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
look man, i understand you not liking srv but saying he wanted to be hendrix is plain wrong.

saying he was "a guy trying very hard to be the next Jimi Hendrix and failing miserably" is like saying david bowie is a guy trying very hard to appropiate the rolling stones' songbook and desperately acting like iggy pop light and failing miserably. or that sonic youth are a band trying very hard to be the velvet underground and failling miserably.

stevie played thru like 10 different amps live and his sound was very different from hendrix's. how many indie tossers have the same pedals and guitars lee and thurston (and j mascis and etc. etc.) have and still sound different from them, generalizing about something like that is like rejecting to listen to any band who plays a les paul, which is very stupid.

besides, saying srv was ripping off hendrix is denying hendrix "broke new ground", didn't he played and pioneer like ten thousand music styles and didn't just play blues?

come to think of it, most of hendrix's solos, except those on band of gypsies, sound like someone trying really hard to play like jeff beck and/or eric clapton and, well, not 'failing' but overdoing it and becoming tiresome and boring.

still, that's my opinion of hendrix, i'm not stating it's some god given truth (although he did rip off clapton and beck), you can not like stevie ray but stating things that are not true at all is just wrong.

and still, i'm not stevie's biggest fan, i just like some of his songs and appreciate him.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|