View Single Post
Old 06.02.2011, 09:04 AM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
How so? What if someone wants to release their work for free? When you speak of allure, do you mean making oneself purposefully obscure? When does self-promotion of any kind turn into vulgarity?
No, with working on your music's allure and self-contextualisation I mean attracting listeners to your work in a manner which employs more than just linking up to it on different websites. I'd like to see more musicians opening up a channel of communication between themselves and their audience, adding up to more than a mere breakdown of the styles they've been drawing from to create it or the instrumentation they've used. Only those who are clearly producing a body of work showing signs of lasting power should be able to afford that kind of elusiveness, I think. With accepting a culture that invites people to steal music and improvise themselves as critical apparatus for what they've stolen, you'll inevitably increment the chances of an objective music criticism suffering a blow at the hands of the defensive attitude scores of musicians will adopt when confronted on their motivations for creating it. I suppose what I was hinting at with my previous post is that a shit fan is more likely to make a shit critic, and so forth.

And, yes, there are musicians who don't need to do that because they still provide their audiences with what they expect from them, managing to succeed with high quality delivered. But let's face it, those are rare cases far from the norm. I am referring more to that dead zone which includes the so-called ''experimental'' community. Certainly not Odd Future, a collective more ambitious on their target audience than such and such drone/indie (whatever you want to call them) musician.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|