View Single Post
Old 07.04.2013, 10:51 AM   #45559
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
My God War Pain is epic. So few Los Angeles bands make it big (Doors, tool, Rage Against the Machine, Guns and Roses, System of a Down, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sublime, Weezer, technically Van Halen, Frank Zappa) though we have a lot of really great bands. A lot of great indie and niche bands have come from LA, but we have rarely had "scenes" like New York, Chicago, Memphis, or Seattle.

War Paint is part of our mid-2000s "scene". EVERY local band from Long Beach to Glendale, from Gardena to Culver City, from Silverlake to South Central, sounds like that. Chick vocals? Check. Dreary, ambient, shoegazish guitar work? Check. Dramatic drumwork? Check. Too much reverb? Check. Vocal harmonies? Check. Keyboard? Check. Its almost like our bands combined all of those above LA bands I mentioned with Mazzy Star to form some LA hybrid.

In my opinion tool is our greatest gift to music, and Rage Against the Machine could have been. The Doors? Shit. That is too trippy for the masses, but so is a lot of LA drug culture

Whoah, really? You think Tool is LA's greatest gift to music?

What about the independent hip hop scene out there. Madlib and Peanut Butter Wolf/Stones Throw, FlyLo, etc? They're at least near enough to LA to consider it home.

I have avoided LA like the plague since the mid '90s. Last time I was there I flew threw, had a layover, caught an Angels game, and bounced the next morning. I have no interest in that city.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|