View Single Post
Old 01.19.2018, 09:52 AM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Of course I'm serious. My only beef with "Be" is that it's a bit too short, but that just gives me an excuse to listen to it again. (And Kanye produced "Get By" which might be Talib's best track.) So no, not fucking around at all.

Album or song too short? Both, I say. And yes. Agreed. Be was an album of transformation for Kanye, or perhaps realization. Came into his own as a producer, really defined the sound of the album. Also, of course, a defining moment for Common.

I feel like there’s another path Kanye could have taken, where instead of being on Jay Z and Cam’ron joints, he stuck with artists closer to the (relative) underground, and fashioned a solo career from there instead of from his ties with Roc-a-fella and so on. I wonder what that solo career would have looked like, if his audience had been just a little bit smaller, the expectations a little less... uhm, global... Sometimes I look at Black Mill and think, “that’s where he’d be.”

Either way, I’m glad he did what he did. There are plenty of folks who loathe him, but he’s stamped out a place in music history as surely as any artist of the millennium has. And he’s made a lot of people’s ears very happy. It warms my heart to hear (read) that your ears would be impoverished if not for him.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|