View Single Post
Old 11.21.2014, 06:36 PM   #1397
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I haven't heard anything from the new Ross. I'm not sure what to expect. I think Mastermind had a real good thematic quality to it. A lot of sort of throwbacks and what not. I feel like I'd like this new one if it's more of that. Maybe.

I've been listening to it for a few hours.

I'm not gonna lie, it cooks right along. I don't think Ross has made a masterpiece since Teflon Don. But I like his records, and I look forward to his collaborative songs, which are always the best.

Hood Billionaire has some pretty embarrassing moments, lyric-wise, but the songs are satisfying and predictable and- like most Ross projects- kind of like a home cooked meal. No surprises, very few risks, virtually no significant stylistic deviations from every other dish Rosay has served.... But they're filling, and sometimes that's more than enough.

I have to say I was really looking forward to his new collaboration with HOV, titled "Movin' Bass." As I said, Ross's album highlights tend to be the tracks he lays down with other notable emcees. Kanye and Ross have a long history of dope tracks.. But with no Yeezy appearances on this album I had my eye on "Movin' Bass" (and the equally anti-climactic "Brimstone feat. Big K.R.I.T.")

Unfortunately, Jay-Z is relegated to chorus duty alone. That's right, Rick Ross cut a track with (arguably) the most famous and skilled rapper alive, and the undisputed elder statesman of the genre. Yup, he had his label head and boss in the studio with him (ostensibly-- though it kinda sounds like Jay phoned this one in) ...and rather than putting those formidable chops to work, he opted to have Jay say the name of the song a few times, with a few words of preamble.

The production on the track is more interesting than most of what you hear on modern mainstream rap records, but man- what a wasted opportunity.

The song with K.R.I.T. could easily pass for a song without K.R.I.T. I can't even remember what kind of contribution the "new king of the south" makes to the album's final song.... But it certainly doesn't contain any of that artist's distinctive style, delivery or personality.

But like I said, the album cooks. It has momentum and it's got a consisten energy to it. I'll have to listen more to perfect my assessment.
Good not great, worth the money.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|