View Single Post
Old 06.28.2015, 04:45 PM   #46983
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
of course it is. sounds like rush, and rush (sucky as they were in many ways) were one of the last gasps of prog before it was chucked out of the window by punk.

the ONLY reason people say "math" and "mathy" is because they're ashamed to say prog. it's just fucking hipster posturing. but it is what it is.

look, punk couldn't last forever. the ramones did something great but they were also very fucking boring because all the songs sounded the same. after punk, people wanted to play music again. more than 2 chords. but hey, they just had been making fun of this complex shit you couldn't dance to! so, they waited, then cleaned up the excesses and threw out the elves and the costumes and the hippie hair and called it "math".

math is... prog by gen-xers

enjoy your sons-of-rush album dude.

i'm going to go listen to some prog-punk deerhoof now.

Man, come on. So you're saying that the bands that influenced Don Cab, like Scratch Acid, Squirrel Bait, Slint, Bitch Magnet, Unwound, Gastr Del Sol, Fugazi... these were all just plain prog bands? Prog bands that happened to be on KRS and Touch and Go and Drag City?

Nah. I disagree. These were punk bands who wanted to fuck with time signatures and play more intensely and inventively aggressive music. I've heard plenty of Rush and Styx, and I've heard some Yes, and Genesis, and I have never heard any of those bands play in a way that bore anything beyond a passing resemblanc to the Math Rock.

If you were to say that "post-Rock" was more or less just prog for punks, I'd say that was fair. But even with groups like Gybe and ASMZ, fly pan am and Do Make Say Think and Explosions in the Sky, the source material was still post-punk. For Yes, the source material was "rock" mixed with fucking madrigals, Celtic folk, jazz fusion, musical theatre and a bunch of other styles that are totally absent from the post-punk and drone of "post-rock."

I have respect for Yes and Genesis despite all the embarrassing crap they did, and the entire Phil Collins era. But don't bring Rush into this man. Rush turned into fucking Air Supply in the '80s. Just awful lite-rock big synth brick droppers.

At least separate the decent/not 100% embarrassing prog from the very shit that punk and post-punk were born to obliterate. I will not stand for Don Cab and Rodan and June of 44 being called prog. No sir, I don't like it.

Now Tortoise... Tortoise was prog. Their first two records are among my favorite albums of all time, and "Djed" is probably one of the best songs I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. But... there's no denying their progness.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|