View Single Post
Old 06.18.2006, 07:30 AM   #69
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
I think we both agree on the first part : what I meant is that even if the guitar is said to be atonal, doesn't mean the SONG itself is atonal (in the musical sens of the word).

Also, you have the problem that atonal, like many musical phrases, has different meanings - Atonal can mean the serial composition of Schoenberg (this is the way I generally use it). Atonal can mean non-melodic... which in itself is a troubled term. I find Confusion... to have some lovely melodies (Bad Mood, Shaking Hell) against dissonant guitar. It's a non-conventional sense of counterpoint (for rock music), so it's faintly atonal, but I find that a bit tenuous. Atonal can also mean (perplexingly for me) drone-based, which I always think should be properly named monotonal.

Whatever, I do disagree that where rock music uses tonal ideas that are uncommon to rock music it is somehow inventive - music theory exists for a good reason, rock music is not exempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|