View Single Post
Old 04.25.2008, 05:05 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i can think of many in the so called "nu metal" category:

machine head-burn my eyes
well before these dudes became pathetic mainstream wannabe rap rock nu metal novelties, they put out this monster of a debut. its straight up stoner thrash, fast drumming, with huge sleep-like riffs that make you dizzy. sorta like high on fire but with better melodies and waaaaaay better vocals. oh and did i mention the riffs? fucking huge!

deftones-white pony
very ambitious and even risky record. half the songs are nothing special, but half are verry cool. i especially like pink magot and passenger with maynard from tool, one of his best ever vocal performances.

slipknot-s/t
yes, theyre goofy as hell. but cmon, this first record was unpretentious straight up metal! with melodies! good vocals, lots of weirdo riffs, and loud. that last track, forget what its called, but it sounds sorta like an 8 minute electronic tribal noisecore freak out, with all those screams. definitley a record we all claim to hate, but if someone were ever to put it on, youd make fun of them, but never ask them to turn it off.

system of a down-s/t
pretty cool untill you listen to mr bungle. then you realize these guys bite all bungles shit and make it radio ready, and you say fuck system of a down.

other stuff:

ween-pepper
i just have a soft spot for this. i would often smoke pot with some hippie kids in my highschool and my choices for tunes were generally this, or phish, id choose this. in the process i think i took a liking to it.

eminem-slim shady lp-marshall mathers lp
if eminem didnt make any records besides these, he wouldnt make it on this list, instead hed be on the list of "the most hilarious, disturbing, gifted, and most amazing mc's of all time". i mean, i read an interview with the gza a few years back, around the time of eminem's dominance, and the gza himself said eminem was the best mc around. nuff said right there.

u2-the joshua tree
yes, we all know how stupid this band and their self righeous singer have become, but ill be damned if youve never been driving around and "with or without you" was on the radio, and you starred blasting it right at bono's vocal "whoaoaoaooa" part and been like, hot damn! and posiibly even tried singing along. but you cant, because the dude is waaaaay to fucking good at singing. this record had it all, amazing songwriting, incredible vocals, pitch perfect production coutresty of mr. eno and the prettiest guitar melodies this side of smiths johnny marr. pop masterpiece.

i could probably think of a ton more, but these imediatley came to my head. i was gonna say stuff like the markers' boss and aids wolf's lovvers lp but then i realized those bands have plenty more time to make good music, so one record wonders, and bands who have made way more shit than they have good all count for this. please, add to this list.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|