View Single Post
Old 06.18.2008, 12:07 AM   #20
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
What don't these guys play?

June 17, 2008
You need a lot of hyphens to describe The Thing.
The Swedish-Norwegian trio - (from top to bottom) bassist Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, saxophonist Mats Gustafsson, and drummer Paal Nilssen-Love - has free-jazz cred, but its material includes not only avant-garde jazz (Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman), but also rock ranging from "Louie Louie" to the White Stripes and PJ Harvey. Here's the catch: They play it with a punk sensibility. And when they team up with a rock band like the Cato Salsa Experience, all heck breaks loose. What results? Hold the hyphen key down, because here it comes: a sort of free-jazz-punk-rock-garage-band-dance-metal free-for-all.
I got caught up on The Thing's catalog recently and - well, holy cow. These guys don't sit still. Each album has a unique aesthetic; a good place to start is "Garage," which blends straight-ahead rock beats with skronk blowing. I'm partial to "Two Bands and a Legend: I See You Baby," which combines The Thing and the Cato Salsa Experience with free-jazz saxophonist Joe McPhee. The record features just three tunes, but do they ever run the gamut: McPhee's own "Nation Time," Donald Ayler's "Our Prayer," and - hyphen alert - a 13-minute funk-punk-jazz version of Groove Armada's dance-floor hit "I See You Baby."
Wish I could make it to Vancouver this month, because The Thing will play the jazz festival there with Boston-bred saxophonist Ken Vandermark, celebrating the release of their new album, "The Thing With Ken Vandermark: Immediate Sound," which features just one tune, a 38-minute improvisation called "Hide Out." Technically it's one song, but it goes everywhere imaginable in those precious minutes. That's a good Thing. (Steve Greenlee)

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/artic...s_play?mode=PF
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|