View Single Post
Old 04.13.2010, 08:38 PM   #34896
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
You need to hear "Montara" by Bobby Hutcherson. Holy shit.

OK, point taken, this is pretty great. Think I've actually heard the Madlib remix before. Thing is, I often do like vibes as far as being a cool sound, especially for use in hip-hop samples/remixes. I love that shit. So chilled and floaty. It's just that whenever they're put in a traditional jazz context, as they often are, like with ^, it somehow bugs me. They're so much less weighty and expressive than something like acoustic sax or bass or piano or whatever, and a large part of what I love about classic just like 'straight up' jazz is that sound of a few dudes just listening to each other in a room and making this really beautiful, or burning, or whatever, but IMMEDIATE music just using the pure acoustic sounds of their instruments. But then you shove some vibes in there, and as much as they can be cool in a fusioney or lite-jazz context, they always somehow rub me as being so out of place and expressionless and just vibe killing (that wasn't actually an intended pun, honest). I don't know, maybe I could be swung over, but it hasn't happened yet...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|