View Single Post
Old 04.28.2009, 11:45 PM   #16
Johnny American
little trouble girl

Johnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Too funny. What the hell are you talking about? Thurston and Lee already listen to stuff way more "mindblowing" and "adventurous" than any of those bands.

You're definitely right that you could take the view that any of the awesome free improv stuff or noise stuff or any of the great bands that they've sort of devoured and re-coded into their own DNA is way more mindblowing than the stuff I mentioned; I was just trying to bring up newer stuff that, despite the antipathy directed towards it for dubious reasons, actually tries to create an identifiable, singular musical identity that does not sound like much else, which is a lot more than you can say about almost any other band that has become internet-famous in the last six years. I'm not even that much of a supporter of Animal Collective; I think they're lazy songwriters and producers who create tedious albums sometimes, but they've also made some really wild, moving tunes from time to time. The Sonics have got Ornette Coleman, Patti Smith and Led Zeppelin and Glenn Branca and the Sparks, and their SST-era "peers" and god knows what else long coded into their DNA. It's what they've been listening to lately that seems to be, uh, less than tasteful, adventurous or moving.
Johnny American is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|