View Single Post
Old 05.01.2008, 11:37 AM   #26
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Nice writing, Dead-Air.

And to think, I deleted a post somewhat recently because I mentioned my checkered ha breakdancing past as a teen.

This is the 2nd time my writing has been mistaken for his. Does our freeform-radio-nerdness make us so alike, I wonder?

Something else to consider is how the experience of being a curious teenager today is different than curious teenagers of previous generations.

Nowadays, with the media saturation and such a wide variety of music available for free online, it's so easy to take music for a short test-drive, and the tendency is to listen for immediate gratification. Young listeners often do not develop any patience when it comes to music appreciation. Maybe their first taste of a new band has a long plodding intro, and maybe that gets dumped for the next download of a song that starts off right away with the urgency and aggression that might excite a more typical youngster.

Back in the olden days, the best we could do was READ about music or hear it on the radio or see the video of the one single and then buy the album. I know that I trusted my reading and my local freeform community radio station to put the band on my to-buy list, and then I'd buy it, and if I didn't like the album at first, I'd hafta listen to it and listen some more and try like hell to make it worth my money.

I think I've told the story here before.....I was 14 and curious about where this punk rock thing had come from, and I was reading about a band called Television which so many writers had called "great" and "influential," so I bought Marquee Moon. I put it on and listened and was surprised at how unpunk it sounded. Here I was, still dumb enough to think that The Exploited were some kinda rightfully legendary band, and now trying to wrap my head around a much more mature masterpiece. Well, it did eventually dawn on me that it was great, and certainly, that was some kinda watershed moment of developing a more informed sense of taste.

So, certainly the Exploited were better when I was 13-14. The stuff I liked after the Exploited were dead to me....SO MUCH BETTER!
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|