View Single Post
Old 10.07.2015, 07:16 PM   #4144
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I think deeper than merely the act of "showing off" (to one's self or others).

This has sort of occurred to me: As physical objects, they can be somewhat comforting, as if they can act as cushions or something. They don't, but maybe some us psychologically operate as if they do? Maybe it's the same part of the brain that accounts for hoarding, but if so, why only books?

Because books are more than just keepsakes. They're physical evidence of personal progress. When we finish a book and set it on the shelf, it's a reminder of a small goal, achieved. The fact that they correspond with times, places and people is already enough to make them valuable, but music does that as well. With books, you not only have a keepsake, you also have a little world you've conquered.

I think they're more akin to academic degrees and trophies than anything else. I do not give mine up quietly.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|