Thread: Dropping out...
View Single Post
Old 01.06.2007, 01:48 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79

...i say endure it. it is one of the most well-respected, oldest, and academically rigorous schools on the entire planet, and if you get out of there in four years the world will be in the palm of your hands...

I know a few people who went to Cambridge. Quite a few (about 20-odd). Some of them did very well. Books published, Actors, etc (these are the half-acquaintances). The others I know haven't seen any enormous advantage to getting work or an exciting job or a well-paid job. I do agree that it's somewhat frivolous to pass up the opportunity to go to a redbrick uni (semi-equivalent to America's Ivy League, I believe), but I don't think that Oxbridge (or UCL etc) immediately imbue one with the advantages that the same unis do in the States.

I maintain that it's impossible to say after one semester whether or not you should quit, however. But, then again, if someone really doesn't enjoy where they are, no amount of natural advantage is going to stop that person hating where they are. It's a very personal thing. I know one chap who enrolled in Greece's best uni, hated it, and ended up at a relatively crap one in the UK. He's infinitely happier, and doing very well for himself. It's a courses for horses case, methinks.

I hope my clever pun isn't entirely lost on you deathless electronic nobodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|