View Single Post
Old 06.10.2008, 09:18 AM   #60
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
i used to think Turquoise Boy had a banjo on it.

Ahah! I forgot all about Turquoise Boy! I'm surprised no one has mentioned that song as one of their favorites from that album, with that middle section noise climax, and the resolution to the pretty, almost "banjo" sound (I know what you're talking about, and I love that rich texture), and how there's that echoey "ping" sound as the feedback fades out, that makes me think of sonar. Also, I always wondered if this song was like a sequel to "I Love You Golden Blue." Maybe that's already been discussed, since in retrospect it seems like a pretty obvious thing to wonder about (turquoise? blue?).

Anyway, I can't argue with the people that say this is a lazy-sounding album. But for me lately, *intent* is just as important as *content*. I'm sure I've said this before, but when I listen to Sonic Nurse (especially stoned), all I can think of is how incredibly prententious they sound. And while the songs are really well-written, they're not as earth-shattering to me as they could have been if they weren't trying so hard and over-thinking everything to make it flawless and perfect. I like the way RR doesn't seem to try at all, and still manages to give us music that's (for me) enjoyable to listen to at the least, and sometimes even simply amazing (like the entirety of "Jams Run Free"--that has to be one of the most perfect songs ever recorded, not a thing I would change about it).

Lastly, I don't know how many different threads I'm going to try to fit this in to, but for anyone saying this album sounds like the beginning of the end, and wonders if the folks have anything interesting left to say or do, you've got to hear the new Free Kitten. And by "hear," I mean do more than put it in and go "eww, this song uses the same chord pattern for the first 4 minutes, next" and proceed to skip through the rest of the tracks, listening to the first 30 seconds of each. I know, I know, it's only Kim (plus other non-SY people), but I defy you to say that *this* sounds commercial.
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|