View Single Post
Old 02.18.2013, 10:35 AM   #56
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
which one do you have? i wanted to get the cheapo but it seemed crummy. then i wanted to get the "paper white" version but didn't know.

Well, I have a first generation Kindle Fire, a second gen Fire (which actually belongs to the lady, an Xmas present from moi), and a Paperwhite.

For me, the Paperwhite is really where it's at. It's pretty cheap if you don't get the 3G version, and it's the only one that actually takes into account the effect that bright screens have on the brain. Looking at anything that produces synthetic light just before bed interferes with the brain's production of melatonin, and can lead to sleeplessness and insomnia.

However, even the Paperwhite is not a good thing to be looking at in a completely dark room, and it can still have a damaging effect on both your eyes and the function of certain neurotransmitters connected with sleeping.

From my experience, the best thing for just before bed reading that anyone's come up with is white font on a black background, with very dim brightness. Even that sucks compared to reading a book with a lamp, which is great for sleeping. Not that you asked about sleeping.

Anyway, I think the Fire is the most worthless of them all. If you buy one, buy the cheapest possible one you can, and save up for an iPad 4 or an iPad mini. I have the 4th gen iPad (large) with retina display, and it now has a free kindle fire HD inside it. It doesn't have the eyeball friendly sheen of the Paperwhite, but any of the color Kindles are just future "Shoulda got an iPad" jokes in the making. Once you get one, and realize how much it actually does vs how much you wish it would do, you're gonna feel like a dunce.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|