View Single Post
Old 04.16.2010, 03:30 PM   #781
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Rooney especially is a very different player to Messi. Rooney is one of the best readers of the game I've ever seen. He may not be spectacular in what he does but his awareness of what's going on really is second to none. In that sense I'd put him closer to Totti - with a far better workrate. Ronaldo is closer to Messi but, I agree, not as good a player. The decision between Rooney and Messi though, far from being moronic, is more down to criteria. In a free-flowing footballing situation (as Messi faced against Arsenal) I'd go with the Argentinian over anyone right now. In a tight, physical battle against a more defensively minded side though, I'd probably favour Rooney.

In terms of comparing Messi with Maradona, I think they're about the same in terms of raw talent, but so far Messi has achieved everything with an already brilliant Barcelona side while Maradona pretty much singlehandedly led an otherwise fairly average Napoli side to the Serie A title.

And I completely agree about Essien.

Yeah i take your point about them being very different players, its just that for the last few months we've had everyone on the TV, newspapers, radio saying "rooney is the best in the world" without much more than a mention of Messi, if that.
Something that people miss out about Messi is he isnt a flair player who stands around, he closes down and works to get his team the ball if he doesnt have it, in the same way Rooney does. The best forward players know it doesnt matter if you win the ball yourself, its about making the opposition play the difficult pass, which they both do brilliantly.

I never saw Maradonna play so i cant chip into that arguement, the only comparison I can make is Zidane and for me Zidane stands above him at the moment, because Zidane reached his peak in his late 20's/early 30s. We cant tell if Messi could be that type of player at 30. Id say Fabregas definitely can, so can Rooney.

For me its between Messi, Fabregas and Rooney to be the best of this generation, that ive seen anyway

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|