View Single Post
Old 05.05.2009, 07:48 PM   #6280
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, what bothers me is that there's nothing going on it. Most Lynch films have layers of dialogue, things happening in the background (literally and.. uh.. metaphorically I guess). Lynch shot with no script. There's been conflicting reports about this, but in 3 interviews he said he had no finished script, and many scenes were written on handkerchiefs or post-it notes the night before shooting. This shows, because it just never really adds up to much. It's an overly simple story, stretched out beyond belief. Some great performances, but it's missing all the things I love about Lynch. There's almost no humor, it's actually boring at times (a sad Lynch first), no Badalamenti... that scene with that Beck song playing is embarassing! Also, it looks like shit, the best scenes (the rabbits stuff) is reused from.. uh.. Rabbits. Lynch's films kept getting longer and longer when he was using film; with DV, he could be as indulgent as he wanted. He shot something like 60 hours for Inland Empire. Just ridiculous. Oh, there's a shaky camera at times, another Lynch first. The whole film is just a big ugly dinosaur.

There's lots to love about it though. GReat atmosphere, great stilted/awkward performances, and like I said.. it really sticks with ya.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|