View Single Post
Old 06.29.2011, 07:35 PM   #109
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I have to agree. There really isn't a bad song on it. I do secretly wish she'd have put a few more flat out pop numbers in there, though. With the obvious exceptions of What the Hell and Smile, it's quite a subdued album, more in the key of something like 'Nobody's Home' - which to be fair is also a big favourite of mine. But then that may partially acount for why she's more interesting than a majority of her peers. She seems perfectly comfortable in a number of styles while a group like Paramore only really work in a single one - pretty much defined by Hallelujah and Misery Business. The further they move from that template the worse they get, while Avril can switch from epic ballads (I'm With You') to straight up power pop ('He Wan't') with no apparent drop in results.

I almost didn't want to like it - what with it being much more 'mature' than Best Damn Thing, which I almost like more because no-one else seems to. There were certainly more of the pop-punk numbers there, though nothing as 'fuck me that's a bit good' as what the hell. But yeah - funny, it's the first album without her odd thing for scratching/ hip-hop lite things. Time will tell if I'm still as enthusiastic about this as I still am for Under My Skin.

Also: I think the surprisingly short opener is a much-neglected weapon in the popstar's arsenal.

I'm on listen number 8, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|