View Single Post
Old 12.25.2016, 10:35 AM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
my bad, i didnt mean to say everyone on the board werent inclined toward adventurism in music tastes. i meant the dude that said all music was the same. i am inebriated.

i have heard probably 5 kanye songs. each was as boring and vacuous as any other contemporary hip hop, and the lyrics were sophomoric. but hearing him was preceded by knowing he's borderline. (asshole, god complex, cyclically psychotic) so maybe it made for some bias.

5 songs isn't enough to judge an artist who's released 9 albums and something like 150 tracks.

Admittedly, he has had a bunch of no. 1 albums and singles, and is probably one of the most well known artists of the past 20 years, so there's definitely some mainstreamness to what he does. But honestly I think he's more sonically varied and interesting than most "underground" artists. A lot of what he does isn't even rap. You should listen to more before you judge.

But honestly I don't care how you feel about Kanye. I was just mad that you seemed to be calling me musically unadventurous. I spend more time and money on music than just about anything else. Previous years I've had to narrow down lists to top 100. Just my top ten (such as it is) contains several different genres, and exactly zero "mainstream hip-hop albums," as far as I'm concerned.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|