View Single Post
Old 07.27.2017, 10:39 AM   #1448
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Midnight was brilliant, an occasion where the formula was ripped up for something closer to art; showing the creative freedoms the modern era has compared with the classic one. It's hard to even think that Midnight and something like Ark in Space are even from the same universe. In that sense the two eras are almost incomparable. While some episodes from the modern era stand up as great TV drama in their own right, irrespective of the whole Dr Who (and even sf) thing, I wouldn't say that's true of any from the classic era. I do still prefer the warts and all simplicity of that era but that only stems from what I want from a Doctor Who story in the 1st place.: namely a bit of eccentric wit, a pinch of science, a weird radiophonic workshop soundtrack and a man in a rubber suit threatening all mankind.

Yep on "Midnight." Spot on. I think it's an excellent example of the intrinsic "horror" of Doctor Who, and a great example of how it is a horror show in the purest sense of the word. At least the modern incarnation is.

I'm definitely more of a reboot kind of guy, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I only saw a handful of older episodes during the first 29 years of my life. I didn't really sit down and start drilling through seasons until the reboot, so that tone and style are what I've come to expect from and enjoy about the Doctor. I like the older episodes, but I'm not super invested in them.

I think Eccleston was terrible though. Just a really poor choice for the character, with poor style decisions (v-necks and a leather jacket? For the fucking Doctor?) but Tennant came around and I thought, "Ok, now this is more like what I remember, but with a new look and a modern sense of urgency." But of course that was deliberate .... they knew they'd made a fuck-up and a half with Eccleston, and sought a course-correction and they nailed it, and saved the reboot that was otherwise looking quite in peril.

All this Who talk is making me want to watch the old episodes and the first several reboot seasons again. Too bad not on Netflix. Fucking damn.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|