View Single Post
Old 04.23.2010, 06:10 PM   #14
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Liz Phair hiring Avril lavignes' producers to make a cash-in record

A thousand fucking times yes. This is the first thing that came to mind. To go from, say, this and this, to this and this, in what is pretty obviously a straight up cynical cash grab, just really makes me sad. I mean that. Like literally upset. I know that's stupid, and it doesn't diminish those early records, and if the artist is happy then who cares, and whatever, but damn...

Those early recordings, Exile In Guyville and the Girlysound tapes really, still shine for me as some of most unique and generally fantastic work in 90s indie. So raw and personal and eloquent and just... I love them so much. And then the records drop off pretty quickly as she goes for the more commercial sound, and then you get to the fucking s/t record, and it is just truly awful soulless music. That fall outstrips the worst falls in musical history for me. Even on the shittiest records by like Dylan or Elvis Costello or Van Morrison or whatever songwriter with rough patches you can think of (and there are some TERRIBLE records there), there's at least this sense that they're trying, or if not, then at least it's personal to them, or was where their interests were, or just SOMETHING. But those last two Phair records, I can't even bear to listen to. It just seems like she has 100% submerged everything true about her in this purely boring, cookie cutter bland pop shit, and I really can't do it.

Sorry for the rant there. I know I shouldn't get upset over these things, it's no big deal really. But fuck me, that's one crushing, hell total, fall off from artist that I really used to love, and I can't see any other reason for it than goddamn money.

Ah well, off to listen to the Girlysound tapes, and none of that will matter.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|