View Single Post
Old 05.19.2006, 02:55 PM   #32
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
no, scott is right. i've been reading the wire for about 6 or 7 years and SY are the only group to have been on the cover more than once in all that time, murray st and SYR4 were both voted album of the year by Wire writers, i think sonic nurse was their number 2 album of 2004, the wife of the editor was involved in putting on kim gordon's 2 art show's in london last year... i expect rather ripped to be in their top 3 or 2006, even though rather ripped is a pile of utter, utter shit.

there are a handful of bands and musicians that the wire tend to get excited about even if they're doing nothing. SY, einsturzende neubauten, the fall, derek bailey, john fahey, john coltrane, john cage, keiji haino...

yeah over in Europe the closest rock band to be on the same level as SY would arguably be The Ex, and how many times have they appeared on the cover of The Wire??? maybe once? that i can remember... and they've put out just as many albums of interesting avant rock for just as long or not longer than SY...

rather ripped being lukewarm, i can hear and understand that comment, musically its a pretty solid album but w/ little creativity as compared to what they've done already, the band seems content with where they're at musically speaking, they've dug there nitche straight to the core and there is no escaping it now (which is OK!) though at the same time they are now embracing "traditional song structures" more now than ever and think thats the type of "experimentation" they are going for, which makes it sound more "immediate" of an album that they've pretty much ever done. but at the same time i can see how this album can get stale quickly... the vocals are good, but lyrically its weird and comes off sounding abit tiresome and trashy in places. still it beats 99% of the uncreative nongenuine bullshit that floats on the airwaves.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|