Thread: drum n bass
View Single Post
Old 05.30.2006, 01:35 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i agree, genres are usefull but ultimately wretched. however, i find the pedant in me comes to the fore when somebody tries to define something as being a part of a genre that it is not. like ESG, they aren't drum n bass.

I once had a stinking argument with a fake feminist who contended that a track off of the White album was 'the first drum and bass tune'. I pointed out that using a jazz drumbeat is not really anything like inventing drum and bass. The argument, such was its erratic path, closed with me saying, "I'm sorry that your sex life is so shit that you feel the need to pretend to be a lesbian, you absolute waste of flesh".

The punk thing is resolutely anti-progression. Musically, I mean. The punk ethos of cultural resistance is a fairly common concern to most eras, and I find it a horrific miscegination to conflate cultural resistance with musical progression, a la 'Dylan/ Lennon/ Davis (etc) were the first punks'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|