Thread: drum n bass
View Single Post
Old 05.30.2006, 01:07 PM   #30
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
And standing on the shoulders of giants, an excellent post you have conceived. I exist now, as I am, enlightened; after reading that delectable post that you have so graciously deigned to let the Sonic Youth fan community peruse. But then again, I feel it a bit unfair that Sonic Youth, Rancid and a million other bands are lumped together under one umbrella phrase; Punk Rock. Maybe there should be a labelling convention, where bands get labelled by the quality of their music. That would be rather useful would it? Then again, who would be the judge of that? No, I undersand where you're coming from and how difficult it would be to break away from something as trivial as a naming convention if it arose from a community that supported and basically birthed you. And thus, everyone from Underworld to Moby to Alec Empire to even Bjork, probably, would be Techno. Others would be Hip-Hop and the small dancefloor minority would be drum and bass. But, no matter; what matters is that there are musicians who recognize the validity of the music and incorporate it into their own. These musicians are somewhat conventionless and calling them IDM is a real big mistake for the continued creativity and growth of these talents. Sometimes I feel as though mainstream success is something that musicians should strive to avoid Thank you again, Glice and Toilet & Bowels, for a very informative read.