Thread: drum n bass
View Single Post
Old 05.30.2006, 12:21 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm. I'm getting alyasa's point here, but I'm going to side with T & B.

For me, the 'intelligent' dnb came very late in the game. dnb was all about the ravers getting bored of happy hardcore and getting back to the breaks of hip hop. To be honest, from about 1989-1996/7, dnb is great to dance to when you're off your rocker, but not really the sort of thing you would buy unless you're a dj. After then you start getting more of an effort to make it a marketable genre, but that wasn't ever really very convincing. The IDM/ glitch/ electronic thing came about as an effort to make sophisticated dance music, but dnb has always been about making people dance in clubs.

Regarding DHR stuff, There is very little of that stuff that is dnb - a lot of it comes out of techno. I know it's really annoying to make the genre distinctions, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that techno is very German (nowadays) whereas dnb is/was very British. Every time a DHR band uses a DnB break, it guarenteed to be the Amen break, with a few exceptions.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that dnb means dancefloor and breaks, and it was the techno boys (and it was nearly allways boys) who did the interesting dance music.

Contentious, perhaps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|