View Single Post
Old 06.13.2015, 11:37 PM   #46865
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
klin-klin-klin-klin-klin-klin-klin-klin...

don't know what goes on what side but it's true it changed midway.

Wait, are we talking about Turn on the Bright Lights or Antics?

It's true, the first half of TOTBL really does hold up, at least musically. The first song haunts me... NYC is equally disarming... Obstacle 2 and PDA are just too good to not love, despite the so-so lyrics. The last minute of PDA is superb.

The rest of the album is really quite silly, though I think the music would have worked if the lyrics had been a bit more obscured, or possibly in a different language.

It totally clear that they were all about Joy Division, Wire, the Cure, etc. but I think that first record was a step above a straight soulless ripoff. while the JD influence was there, Interpol never put out anything that truly sounded like Joy Division. They had "Disorder" moments, but nothing like the frosty dark procession of "Day of the Lords" or anything from Closer.

[EDIT:] Antics, though - I am not a fan. Great album title though. Seriously.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|