View Single Post
Old 04.16.2019, 05:20 PM   #5516
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I could literally write a book about Gene Wolfe’s “Solar Cycle” and why it’s one of the most underrated masterpieces in contemporary fiction.

The Boom of the New Sun:
I. Shadow of the Torturer
II. Claw of the Concilliator
III. Sword of the Lictor
IV. Citadel of the Autarch
* V. Urth of the New Sun (coda novella, published much later)

Book of the Long Sun:
I. Nightside the Long Sun
II. Lake of the Long Sun
III. Caldé of the Long Sun
IV. Exodus from the Long Sun

Book of the Short Sun:
I. On Blue’s Waters
II. In Green’s Jungles
III. Return to the Whorl

I would read the books in this order. Long Sun is almost as good as New Sun, but Short Sun is a slightly lesser project... though still amazing.
SHORT is an immediate sequel to LONG, though it focuses on different characters.
LONG seems like it will be a sequel to NEW, but in fact their chronological relationship is MUCH more complicated, and does not truly become clear until you read SHORT.

My god, though. What an under-appreciated talent.

His work in other genres like horror and mystery is less satisfying to me. It’s his Dickensian-by-way-of-Lovecraft works that really put him over the top.

All you dweebs should read this shit.

There’s a reason Ursula K. LeGuin Called Wolfe the “Melville” of speculative fiction

Sad
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|