View Single Post
Old 08.28.2011, 06:32 PM   #41
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
Facing your statements about networking, I realize it's not that of a big issue where I live. It has it's relevance, but not to the described extent. My luck, because, I'm not a great networker. On the other side, I know it is beneficial, so maybe I should start becoming one.

for small jobs - like average person mcdonalds jobs - you dont need contacts. for anything above the scale you pretty much do.

understand i am not saying this to be some professional careerist guy. i'm simply saying it because its a fact.

when these jobs become available, they don't want joe nobody off the street. they want someone their friends know and trust. they want someone they can find stuff out about before the interview. they don't want to have to interview strangers, because these strangers can sue them for discrimination if they don't get hired. they are really, really cautious about all this stuff.

so it really is about contacts. and you can't just go out and "make" them like that. most of them time you either have them in your family or your close friends or something. they are either there or not.

there is little advice anyone can really give. all i would say is don't be too proud and plan ahead.