View Single Post
Old 02.26.2017, 12:33 PM   #20769
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
God damn though, there was some really brutal shit early on in the film and I almost had to turn it the fuck off. Not excessively violent, but deeply, deeply disturbing. One gets the sense that Tom Ford knows how to elicit feelings, but doesn't quite feel them himself... so the scene in question plays out a bit like snuff. It's as though Ford has studied emotionally charged violence and understands intellectually that it correlates with critical praise, but has no fucking clue why, or how. So he just shoved this slab if brutal mayhem into the film because it was on some checklist that he apparently put together from watching and not understanding Blue Velvet, Silence of the Lambs, Irreversible, Jacob's fucking Ladder, and other classic, devastatingly brutal films.

It's clear he has a knack for visuals and tone, but he has only a cursory, reductive understanding of storytelling, writing and filmmaking.

The guy's a suit maker!

Blah.

So? Nothing wrong with doing something different in your career. And who's to say as time goes on he won't get better. Also, I'd call him a bit more than a "suit maker"

Have you seen A Single Man? That was his first film he directed and I've always had a lot of love for it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|