View Single Post
Old 09.23.2016, 10:27 AM   #19645
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Technically yes, as it was quite literally not a remake of Apollo 13.

Also, yes in a bunch of other ways that aren't so technical. The stories do have a similar theme (space, thing is space not working) but apart from that there's not much overlap between the real life story of the 13th Apollo mission and the Andy Weir novel The Martian.

so have you just not seen Apollo 13 in a long time or are you Harry Ellising me?

In both flicks we have a pioneering space mission to a new terrestrial location, an unanticipated disaster, a back and forth between Houston and the astronauts trying to work out solutions, dudes using tape and jerry rigging equipment, the scientists using models back on Earth to develop a strategy, sarcastic banter back and forth between astronauts in space and scientists on Earth, a communication failure that scares everyone, some scenes with scientists all depressed, some scenes with astronauts all depressed, gutsy but risky solution, massive fan fare back on Earth, a triumphant launch scene from mission control, a near failure on the game winning attempt..

dude i felt like i had literally seen it all before then i realized i HAD.. over 20 years ago

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|