View Single Post
Old 02.04.2011, 06:05 AM   #24
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Quote from Don Van Vliet, via (now out of print, so pick up a copy before this thing costs $500; it's really really worth it -- it's nearly 900 pages long and is fucking extensive, tells some hilarious / embarassing / heart wrenching / tearjerking / wonderful / stupid / ridiculous / unholy stories via JOHN "Drumbo" FRENCH, who is smart and talented as hell -- I had no idea he played many drum and bass parts on the later material AS WELL AS playing guitar on every song on DOC... did you guys know that he played the guitar parts on Odd Jobs, Seam-Crooked Sam, and Thousandth and Tenth Day of the Human Totem Pole, on the original version of Bat Chain Puller? These are the most fucking complex songs ever. Technically, he might not have been as talented -- i.e. "the ability to play lots of notes really fast" -- as someone like Gary Lucas, but as far as having a musical memory and a great EAR, John was the man, and you know, he actually helped Beefheart compose just about every Beefheart song ever, except some of the stuff on DECALS, which Zoot did; some of the stuff on SAFE, which RY did; and most of the stuff on ICE CREAM, which Lucas did) BEEFHEART: THROUGH THE EYES OF MAGIC........

"Look at this song!" Don exclaimed, pointing at a song called Captain's Holiday. "I didn't even play on this one... I didn't go to the studio that day, so they did a whole song without me, and it ended up on the record!"

It was just my thought, kind a funny, itīs true!!! I really think itīs the only Beefheart song I dislike totally and so it even isnīt Beefheart song.

About Drumbo, it was quite funny to read in Beefheartīs wikipedia pages Drumboīs telling how the house is build if it is build as Beefheart makes songs. But somehow the Magic Band couldnīt make as great music without Captain. I havenīt heard that stuff, but no-one hasnīt say it is as good or even greater.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|